This recipe is one of my all time favorite’s. I still have not met the student that does not like this dish. They get to prepare their own wrap using the alternative ingredient “lettuce” instead of a corn of flour tortilla. It's also great fun. Give this one a try at home and you will see what I mean!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound chicken breast (boneless, skinless, cubed) 1-1 1/2 pounds
- 1 tbsp peanut oil (plus 1-1/2 tbsp extra)
- 1 can water chestnut (drained and diced)
- 1 tbsp ginger-root (minced) fresh is best
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce (reduced sodium)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup green onion (julienned)
- 1/2 cup carrot (julienned shredded)
- 1/2 cup mango, pineapple, mandarins, strawberries choose any fruit that you like
- 1 tbsp oriental crispy noodles
- 12 Lettuce (Bibb or Boston leaves)
In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil for 3 minutes; drain.
Add ginger; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink.
Drain and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder, and remaining oil.
Stir in the carrots, onions and chicken mixture.
Spoon onto lettuce leaves; sprinkle with all your favorite toppings. If desired, fold sides of lettuce over filling and roll up.