Last Sunday I had the opportunity of making breakfast for my parents and wanted to try out this light version with them(they dont know it but they have been my Guinea Pigs for years!) It was a hit! Almost every country has a version of it and we wanted to come up with a lighter version for our fans. Use Sprouted or Gluten Free Bread, free range Eggs and real Maple syrup. Give it a more international twist by adding some local fresh fruit as a side!
Classic French Toast
Servings 8 pieces
- 2 each egg whites from free range, vegetarian fed hens
- 1 each egg from free range, vegetarian fed hens
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk Organic
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tsp organic butter
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (Ezekiel 4:9 ® Sprouted Grain Bread)
- 1 cup maple syrup optional
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh fruit (Organic) Mango, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries
- Powder sugar to sprinkle optional
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Whisk egg whites, egg, milk, vanilla, and salt until blended.
In 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt 1 teaspoon of butter on medium.
Dip bread slices, 1 at a time, in egg mixture, pressing bread lightly to coat both sides well. Place 3 or 4 slices in skillet, and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides.
Transfer French toast to cookie sheet; keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining butter, bread slices, and egg mixture. Serve French toast with maple syrup.