- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, (2 medium)
- 1 cup buttermilk, (see Ingredient notes)
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran, (see Ingredient notes)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in bananas, buttermilk, wheat bran, oil and vanilla.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they’ll be quite full). Sprinkle with walnuts, if using.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.