Kale is here to stay. A "wild" member of the cabbage family, this rough green can be cooked or made into salads such as the classic Caesar Salad created by August Escoffier for his friend Caesar Ritz. Kale is high in fiber (which helps digestion), full of phytonutrients which help detoxify our bodies and has a wide array of vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for the whole family. Make sure you "massage" the dressing on to the Kale so it really absorbs the flavor of the dressing. Serve it with grilled Portobellos, tofu or add it to a wrap for a twist!
Kale Caesar Salad
Servings 5 each
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise vegan
- 1 each anchovy fillets minced *optional!
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese divided in two
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce, low sodium can be Tamari or Bragg's Aminos
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 head Kale clean, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shaved
Wash and cut Kale in small bite size pieces and set aside.
Mix garlic, anchovies, Dijon, Tamari, lemon juice and grated Parmesan with mayo. Slowly whisk in olive oil to mix to make your dressing.
Toss Kale with dressing, top with shaved Parmesan cheese.