This veggie burgers Fun to make, this easy recipe can be made ahead of time and reserved in the refrigerator for later cooking. It can be made gluten and nut free. Serve with our Raw Ketchup, some fresh greens and vegan cheese. For a twist you can also add sprouts, caramelized sweet onions, mushrooms, avocado or raw Thai slaw!
Servings 8 burgers
- 1/2 cup onion small diced
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 1/2 tbsp Flax meal (eggs substitute): 2.5 tbsp ground flax + 1/2 cup warm water, mixed in bowl
- 1 cup oats processed into flour
- 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup carrots grated
- 1 cup black beans cooked, rinsed and roughly pureed
- 1/4 cup parsley or fresh herb of choice
- 1/3 cup almonds chopped *
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (toasted if preferred)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 F (if baking). In a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic in 1/2 tbsp oil. Mix your flax (egg substitution) together in a small bowl and set aside for at least 10 mins while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Place all ingredients (except spices and salt) into a large mixing bowl and stir very well. Now, add seasonings and salt to taste.
With slightly wet hands, shape dough into patties. Pack dough tightly as this will help it stick together.
Cooking methods: You can cook the burgers in a bit of oil on a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side. If baking, do so for 25-30 mins (15-17 minutes on each side) at 350 F, until golden and crisp. For the BBQ, pre-bake the burgers for about 15 minutes in oven before placing on a pre-heated grill until golden and crisp on each side.
*If allergic to nuts, the almonds can be substituted by minced hearts of palms or any other crunchy vegetable.
*Gluten Free: To make these gluten free burgers, use certified Gluten Free oats, Tamari, and breadcrumbs.
* Our followers have mentioned to us that when cooking with kids, the skillet cooking method works the best!