Light and refreshing Turkey Lettuce Wraps, an healthy Asian option for this spring. We spent the morning testing new recipes and WOW, this one is tasty, filling and easy to make. The health benefits of the bell peppers, ginger, garlic and turkey are pretty enticing as well. Make sure you don't over cook your veggies to keep the most nutrients in them. Come on foodies! Send us your pictures through Facebook when you, make this at home!
Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Light and refreshing
Servings 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive or grape seed oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper ground
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 each bell pepper, red small diced
- 1/4 each bell pepper, green small diced
- 1/4 each bell pepper, orange, large small diced
- 1/4 each bell pepper, yellow small diced
- 1 each small onion small diced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons Braggs Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 each green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sunflowers seeds, raw, unsalted
- 1 head Romaine lettuce large, for serving
- 2 tablespoons Garlic chili sauce optional
- 1/4 cup cilantro or basil leafs for garnish
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (add at the end for more flavor)
Season turkey with salt and pepper.
Heat olive or grape seed oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat and set aside.
Add onions and cook for 2 minutes, add bell peppers and garlic to the saucepan. Cook, stirring frequently, until al dente for 2 minutes.
Stir in hoisin sauce, Braggs aminos, ginger and ground turkey until well combined. Add a touch of the sesame oil to taste.
To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the turkey mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf. Add sunflower seeds for the crunchiness and cilantro or basil leafs for extra aroma. You can also add drops of the garlic chilli sauce for spiciness.
Even thou the flavor will change if you have picky eaters you may want to tweak the recipe a little bit by omitting the Hoisin sauce, the scallions and the cilantro.