This whole wheat turkey pepperoni Calzone will have your children eating their vegetables. Its easy to make and you can create your own combination of fillings or use vegetarian cheese instead. We choose Turkey instead of pork pepperoni since it has less saturated fat and calories while maintaining a classic flavor! Enjoy!!
Whole Wheat Calzones with Turkey Pepperoni and Veggies
Get your kids eating their vegetables!
Servings 4 Calzones
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese part skim milk
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese part skim milk
- 14 each turkey pepperoni slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp basil fresh
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 each green pepper small diced
- 1/4 cup broccoli small diced
- 1 each red pepper small diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 each whole wheat dough for four calzone
To Make Filling; combine the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, basil, and Parmesan, and refrigerate. Saute your veggies (if using) in 1 tsp oil until desired texture (they will cook a bit more in the Calzone). Add garlic, Mix well, and refrigerate to chill.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
When dough is ready, punch it down and separate it into 2 equal parts. Then do it again to get 4 portions. With your hands, press parts out into thin circles on a lightly floured surface. Fill each circle with 1/4 of the cheese/meat filling and 1/4 veggie filling. Fold over each of 4 corners, securing edges by folding in and pressing with a fork. Brush the top of each Calzone with egg and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
*Optional ingredients: Eggplant, Red Onion, Cauliflower, Zucchini, Snow Peas, Carrots, Leeks, Spinach, Diced Tomato, Asparagus, or any preferred vegetable !
* For your convenience, you can find the whole wheat dough recipe in our website. Just click here,