When you look at the ingredients in this recipe, you won't feel guilty about having more than one!
Remember, at the Real Food Academy, "We Don't Change the Dish, We Change the Ingredients"
Zucchini Vanilla Cupcakes with Cream Cheese, Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar organic
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1 each zucchini coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 large eggs free range ,lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter organic, room temperature
- 4 ounces bar cream cheese "Neufchatel" organic, low fat
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cups of a standard (12-cup) muffin tin with paper or foil liners. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in nuts.
In another bowl, combine zucchini, oil, eggs, apple sauce, and vanilla; add to flour mixture, and mix just until combined (do not over-mix).
Divide batter evenly among cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
Cool in tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes; turn cupcakes out, right side up, and cool completely. Meanwhile, make frosting. Using an offset spatula or butter knife, spread frosting on cupcakes. The frosted cupcakes are best eaten within 1 day.
In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract; beat until light and fluffy. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 day.