As vegetarians (or not), we need to add protein to our bodies. The following recipe is "pumped" with plant-based proteins from beans, seeds and oats. As a vegetarian, this is one of my to go recipes when I want a burger (you don't need to be vegetarian in order to savor this baby!). At The Real Food Academy, we have also made this recipe with hundreds of kids and just after we got their seal of approval (kids can be harsh recipe judges) we decided on going public with it! TIP: Serve it with our Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw with Apples and top it with avocado slices and sprouts. Next time you have a gathering your guests will be impressed with your new plant-based burger!
Our Perfect Veggie Burger
Kids seal of approval!
Servings 8 each
- 1/2 cup onion small diced
- 1 each garlic clove minced
- 1 each egg
- 1 cup oats processed into flour* (other flours might work)
- 1.5 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup carrots grated
- 1 cup black beans cooked, rinsed and roughly pureed or mashed
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp Fine grain sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Whole wheat buns or toasted Ezequiel sprouted bread
- ketchup, homemade
Place all ingredients (except spices and salt) into a large mixing bowl and stir very well. Now, add seasonings and salt to taste.
With slightly wet hands, shape dough into patties. Pack dough tightly as this will help it stick together. I made 8 medium patties.
Cooking methods: You can fry the burgers in a bit of oil on a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.