As a soup lover, chowders have always been my favorites! This recipe is a relatively easy and will satisfy all of your friends and family members. Don't forget to prepare the toppings before serving!!
Corn and Coconut Milk Chowder
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 each Yukon gold potato chopped
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn husked
- 1/2 each bell pepper, red diced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14 ounce, can light coconut milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro minced
- 3 each pickled jalapeños sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot at medium heat. Add the onion and a few pinches of salt.
Cook until soft, then add garlic, celery, potatoes.
* Slice kernels off the corn, then use the back of your knife to scrape the juices off of the corn cob and add to the pot. Add the red pepper, celery salt, and paprika, a pinch of salt, black pepper, and stir.
Cook until the potatoes are slightly softened, about 5 minutes, then add sherry vinegar, vegetable broth and coconut milk.
Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 more minutes. Let cool slightly, then transfer half the soup to a blender. Blend until creamy then return it back to the pot and stir.
Taste and adjust seasonings and serve with chopped chives.
*Reserve half corn on the cob for garnishing. Cook it in the soup and remove the piece of corn on the cob before blending the soup. Let the cob cool down and scrape off the cooked kernels. This kernels will be your garnish!