This recipe does not miss having the meat to be a really good "chili". However, you can always add ground turkey if you can't live without. The combination of flavors make it a winner!
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Chili
Sweet and comforting chili.
Servings 6 Servings
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 eacheach bell pepper, green chopped
- 1 each bell pepper, red chopped
- 1 each sweet potato peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoon garlic cloves chopped, or 1 heaping of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground sea salt and black pepper
- 2 15 oz can diced tomatoes including the liquid*
- 1 15 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water, broth
- 2 tablespoon vegetable organic bouillon
In a 4 to 6 quart Dutch oven or stockpot, sautée the chopped vegetables in one to two tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high heat. You’ll need to stir the ingredients every few minutes so they can cook evenly.
Once the onions start turning translucent, turn the heat down to medium-low. Add better than bullion, all of the spices and canned ingredients water and stir.
Cover and cook for up to one hour, stirring occasionally.
By the time your chili is done, the sweet potatoes should be nice and soft and the liquid should have reduced a bit, producing the hearty chili consistency that we all know and love.