This is a Vegan appetizer that would impressed anyone. The freshness of the coconut meat, the crispiness of the hearts of palm and the sweetness of the mango makes a perfect combination of flavors and textures.
Growing up in Peru, I learned the secrets of how to make a traditional Fish Ceviche with its white milky juice called "Leche de Tigre" witch means in English "Tiger's Milk". Leche de Tigre is the leftover flavorful juice in which the raw fish gets marinated and most people drink it afterwards.
In this Vegan recipe you will have almost the same effect after combining the lime juice, garlic, aji panca, ginger, salt and coconut milk. Even thought there's no fish to marinate, you still want to soak the coconut meat for a few minutes so it absorbs all the flavors.
To create a beautiful presentation when serving this dish. You can use a martini glass or a square dish. Garnish it with mint or cilantro and the sliced avocado.
Coconut and Mango Ceviche
Lime marinated young coconut meat with hearts of palm and sweet mango.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 cups coconut meat thinly sliced (1/4 inch) from a Thai young coconut
- 1 cup mango thinly sliced (1/4 inch)you can substitud mango for bosk pear
- 1 cup hearts of palm rinsed and sliced
- 1/4 cup mint chiffonade, you can also use cilantro instead
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, red julienned
- 1 aji panca thinly sliced and divined or can use habanero or jalapeno
- 1 avocado sliced
- "Leche de Tigre" Tiger’s milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk from a can with full fat
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Combine the coconut meat, mango, sliced hearts of palm, mint, red bell peppers in a bowl and mix until well incorporated.
Whisk together coconut milk, lime juice, ginger, garlic and salt to make the "Leche de Tigre."
Add "Leche de Tigre" to salad and toss until it is well incorporated.
To create a beautiful presentation when serving this dish. You can use a martini glass or a square dish.
Garnish it with mint or cilantro and the sliced avocado.