I honestly can't remember when did we start this tradition in my family, but almost every month we have our Taco Tuesday night and we go all out with it! The following is my own recipe which is easy to make and will feed a family of four...... and a dog! Serve with diced Avocado, shredded Lettuce, diced Tomatoes, sliced Jalapenos Lime wedges, Queso Fresco and Sour Cream.
It's Taco Tuesday
Servings 10 tacos
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 15 oz pinto beans, canned organic
- 4 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 pound lean turkey ground meat
- 1 tbsp salt for seasoning
- 1/2 cup onion small diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, green or red small diced
- 1 tspn pepper for seasoning
- 1/2 cup carrots shredded
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh organic, non gmo
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano for seasoning
- 1 tspn cumin powdered
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup queso fresco
- 1/2 head lettuce, iceberg shredded, for service
- 1 cup tomatoes, fresh small diced, for service
- 1 large avocado optional, for service
- 2 each limes optional, for service
- 1/2 cup sour cream optional, for service
- 2 each jalapenos optional, for service
- 10 each tacos, warmed soft or hard, for service
In a small sauce pot, warm 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp garlic. Add beans and 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for 10 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Mash the beans by hand or with blender or food processor, season with a dash of salt and cover with a tspn of olive oil. Keep warm and set aside-This will be your Refritos!
In a separate shallow large skillet warm 2 tbsp olive oil and cook the onions, peppers, carrots and corn for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cook for 2 minutes more and add the tomato paste. Stir well, if mix is dry add about 1/4 cup of water.
Add turkey meat and cook for 30 minutes. Season with oregano, cumin salt & pepper. Finish with Cilantro.